jueves, 7 de marzo de 2019

What's in my bag? - Producer Essentials

As a junior producer, I don't have my own studio (yet), and as a student who has to commute every day to the school's studios, I've learned the importance of always being prepared, because there's nothing worse than getting to school and realizing that you left something at home. There are a few things that I always keep in my bag and that are the perfect essentials that a junior producer should have.



1. A good set of headphones
Good professional headphones for production can be a little expensive, but they definitely are a great investment if you're an aspiring producer. There are some good options out there that you can look into, and to make it a little easier for you, these are my headphones. 
I use the ATH-M40X from Audio Technica, I always carry them around my neck, never in my bag, because this model has some fragile plastic pieces that could break with impact, but anyway. These headphones have been amazing for me, they have flat sound, they're pretty noise-cancelling, very comfortable, and the price isn't absolutely terrible. Plus, they have two other models from the same line, the ATH-M20X, which are more affordable. I've been in love with these headphones from the first day, and I always recommend them to everyone.

2. Adapters ft. Splitters
Get a bunch of different adapters because you'll probably need them. These, along with a splitter, are especially useful when you're recording with someone else, or more than one talent at a time. Now, they ARE easy to lose, so make sure you keep them in a safe place, this could be a little bag or a small container. I use the container of my hair dye to keep them all in the same place. 

3. My Zoom H2N ft. Pop filter
This is another great investment to make, because this recorder will become your best friend! 
I've used my Zoom H2N to record interviews, live concerts, and even voice-overs! (Don't tell this to Kyle Taylor or Neil tho) 
The Zoom H2N has a great variety of patterns that make this recorder very helpful, it has the perfect pocket-size so you can always have it with you (there's no excuse!) you can literally record from anywhere! Something else that can come in handy with your Zoom is a pop filter, you can get one on your favourite colour, and you can use it with other microphones as well. 

4. A USB Hub
This might seem weird, but these are very helpful! Especially along with your Zoom H2N. I got a very affordable one at Miniso that also has an SD and micro SD port. 

5. USB drive & external drive
USB keys are great - if you're still using Audition as your DAW. If you're planning on using ProTools, an external drive is what you will need to save your sessions and projects. Keep them safe, label them with your name, remember these are two delicate tools, but having them on you all the time will save your life. 

If you carry these things in your bag, you'll always be ready to produce good stuff! And you'll never have to worry about leaving something important at home, not being able to save a session or not having your demo with you.

Remember to check my soundcloud account to hear some of my production work! Check out my other social media to learn more about production.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Popular posts

Translate